Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Prayer Time with My Kids

In our home, we have prayer time before meals, before bed, before traveling on long trips, and other random times throughout the week. I often pray with my girls when we've had to discipline them, when they're scared, or when a friend or family member is sick or hurt. I love these inspirational moments. They are inspirational because I am often the one who is blessed. We pray with our children to teach them how to pray and to raise them to be spiritual champions, but sometimes I am the one receiving the blessing. I love to hear them talk to God at the end of the day and it gives me a window into their heart.

I often hear mom's say that they wish their husbands would pray with their kids at bedtime, etc. I also hear mom's say that they wish they weren't the only ones leading their children on their spiritual journey. Maybe some dads do need to take a more active role, but I can't stop doing what I'm already doing. I thoroughly enjoy praying with my kids and am amazed at the influence it has on their lives. I don't want to miss out on the joy it brings me...nor the one-on-one time it gives us each day.

Recommended reading on this topic: Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. This book has been my resource for years. It provides verses and prayers on so many topics!

Stay Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment